Summary of Qualifications
Dr. Michael Bussieck has a PhD in Mathematics from Technical University of Braunschweig, Germany. He worked from 1998 to 2004 at GAMS Development in Washington DC, USA as a senior optimization analyst. Since 2004 he has also been a managing partner of GAMS Software GmbH, leading the GAMS software development group. In addition to his development responsibilities, he frequently engages in customer optimization projects that deliver cutting-edge optimization technology to clients from industry (energy, automotive, and chemical), the military, and government throughout Europe and the US.
Michael has published in many first class optimization journals, frequently gives lectures at international conferences, and leads the academic outreach program at GAMS. He also serves as a member in the advisory board of the German OR Society.
|2004 – today
||Managing Director, GAMS Software GmbH, Braunschweig, Germany
|1997 – 2004
||Senior Engineer, GAMS Development Corp., Washington D.C., USA
|1992 – 1997
||Scientific staff, Mathematical Optimization, Technical University Braunschweig, Germany
- Dr. rer. nat. Technical University Braunschweig, Germany, 1997.
- Dipl. math. Technical University Braunschweig, Germany, 1992.
Articles in refereed Journals and Books
- Optimizing Large-Scale Linear Energy System Problems with Block Diagonal Structure by Using Parallel Interior-Point Methods, joint work with Thomas Breuer, Karl-Kien Cao, Felix Cebulla, Frederik Fiand, Hans Christian Gils, Ambros Gleixner, Dmitry Khabi, Thorsten Koch, Daniel Rehfeldt, and Manuel Wetzel. Submitted for publication, 2017.
- High Performance Prototyping of Decomposition Methods in GAMS, joint work with Timo Lohmann, Steffen Rebennack, and Lutz Westermann. INFORMS Journal on Computing, Jun 1, 2020.
- PAVER 2.0: An Open Source Environment for Automated Performance Analysis of Benchmarking Data, joint work with Steven P. Dirkse and Stefan Vigerske. Journal of Global Optimization, Volume 59, Issue 2-3, pp 259-275, 2013.
- GUSS: Solving Collections of Data Related Models within GAMS, joint work with Michael C. Ferris and Timo Lohmann. In Algebraic Modeling Systems – Modeling and Solving Real World Optimization Problems, J.Kallrath (Ed.), Springer, 2011
- Combining QCR and CHR for Convex Quadratic Pure 0-1 Programming Problems with Linear Constraints, joint work with Aykut Ahlatçıoğlu, Mustafa Esen, Monique Guignard, Jan-Hendrik Jagla, and Alexander Meeraus. Annals of Operations Research, Volume 199, Issue 1, Page 33-49, 2012
- MINLP Solver Software, joint work with Stefan Vigerske. Wiley Encyclopedia of Operations Research and Management Science, 2011
- Term-End Exam Scheduling at the United States Military Academy at West Point, joint work with Alex Meeraus, Monique Guignard, Fred O’Brien, Siqun Wang. Special issue Application and Methodologies for Planning and Scheduling in Journal of Scheduling, Vol. 13, No. 4, 375-391, 2010
- An Experimental Study of GAMS/AlphaECP MINLP Solver, joint work with Toni Lastusilta and Tapio Westerlund, Abo Akademi University, Finland. Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 2009, 48 (15), pp 7337–7345
- Grid Enabled Optimization with GAMS, joint work with M.C. Ferris and A. Meeraus. INFORMS Journal on Computing, Vol. 21, No. 3, 349-362, 2009
- Dynamic Filters and Randomized Drivers for the Multi-start Global Optimization Algorithm MSNLP, joint work with Z. Ugray, L. Lasdon, J.C. Plummer. In Optimization Methods and Software, Vol. 24, No 4-5, 635-656, 2009
- Algebraic Modeling for IP and MIP (GAMS), joint work with A.Meeraus. In Annals of Operations Research 149(1): History of Integer Programming: Distinguished Personal Notes and Reminiscences, Guest Editors: Kurt Spielberg and Monique Guignard-Spielberg, February, 2007, pp. 49-56
- Software Quality Assurance for Mathematical Modeling Systems, joint work with S.Dirkse, A.Meeraus and A.Pruessner. In The Next Wave in Computing, Optimization, and Decision Technologies, Proceedings of Ninth INFORMS Computing Society Conference, B. Golden, S. Raghavan, and E. Wasil (editors), January, 2005.
- A fast algorithm for near optimal line plans, joint work with T.Lindner and M.E.Lübbecke. In Math. Methods Oper. Res., 59(3), 2004.
- General Algebraic Modeling System (GAMS), joint work with A. Meeraus. In Modeling Languages in Mathematical Optimization, J.Kallrath (Ed.), Kluwer Academic Publishers, Norwell, MA, 2004, pp.137-157
- Quality Assurance and Global Optimization, joint work with A.S. Drud, A. Meeraus, and A. Pruessner. In Lecture Notes in Computer Science 2861/2003. Title: Global Optimization and Constraint Satisfaction: First International Workshop on Global Constraint Optimization and Constraint Satisfaction, COCOS 2002 Valbonne-Sophia Antipolis, France, October 2-4, 2002. Springer Verlag, Heidelberg, 2003, pp. 223-238
- Scheduling Commercial Videotapes in Broadcast Television, joint work with S. Bollapragada and S. Mallik. In Operations Reseach, Vol. 52, No. 5, pp. 679-689, 2004
- Mixed-Integer Nonlinear Programming, joint work with A. Pruessner. SIAG/OPT Newsletter: Views & News, 2003
- MINLPLib - A Collection of Test Models for Mixed-Integer Nonlinear Programming, joint work with A.S. Drud and A. Meeraus. In Informs J. Comput. 15(1), 2003
- Scheduling Trams in the Morning is Hard, joint work with U.Blasum, W.Hochstättler, C.Moll, H.Scheel, T.Winter. In Mathematical Methods of OR 49(1), pp.137-148, 1999.
- Optimal Scrap Combination for Steel Production, joint work with K.-P. Bernatzki, T.Lindner, and M.E.Lübbecke. In OR Spektrum, 20(4), pp.251-258, 1998.
- The Vertex Set of a 0/1-Polytope is Strongly P-Enumerable, joint work with M.E.Lübbecke. In Computational Geometry: Theory and Applications 11(2), pp.103-109, 1998.
- Discrete Optimization in Public Rail Transport, joint work with T.Winter, U.T.Zimmermann. In Mathematical Programming 79(3), pp.415-444, 1997
- Linienoptimierung - Modellierung und praktischer Einsatz (in german), joint work with Matthias Krista, Klaus-D. Wiegand, and U.Zimmermann. In Mathematik - Schlüsseltechnologie für die Zukunft, Springer, pp. 595-607, 1997.
- Optimal Lines for Railway Systems, joint work with P.Kreuzer and U.Zimmermann. In European J. Oper. Res. 96, pp. 54-63, 1996.
- On Balanced Edge Connectivity and Applications to some Bottleneck Augmentation Problems in Networks. In Z. Oper. Res. 43(2), pp. 182-194, 1996.
- Fast Algorithms for the Maximum Convolution Problem, joint work with H.Hassler, G.J.Woeginger, and U.Zimmermann published in Oper. Res. Lett. 15, pp. 133-141, 1994.
- Comparison of Some High-Performance MINLP Solvers, joint work with Toni Lastusilta and Tapio Westerlund, Abo Akademi University, Finland. Extended Abstract, The Eight International Conference on Chemical & Process Engineering, 2007
- Praxisbeispiel zur Optimierung eines Reparaturnetzwerks, joint work with Georg Dietrich and Franz Triebenbacher (Barkawi & Partner). Proceedings of 27. Symposium: Logistik und Mathematik Bad Honnef, 17./18. November 2005.
- Modeling with Quadratic Constraints to Improve Exam Timetabling Solutions, joint work with Monique Guignard, Siqun Wang. OPIM Working Paper, The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, No 01-07-02.
- Modeling Language Report, joint work with Steve Dirkse, Robert Fourer, Alex Meeraus, James Tebboth, Pierre Trudeau, Mark Wiley, David L. Woodruff published in Newsletter of the INFORMS Computing Society, Vol 23, No 1, Spring 2002.
- Optimal Lines in Public Rail Transport, Ph.D. thesis
- Discrete Optimization in Rail Transport - An extended abstract, joint work with M.E.Lübbecke, T.Winter, and U.T.Zimmermann In V. Bulatov, editor, Proceedings of 11th Baikal International School-Seminar on Optimization Methods and their Applications, pages 225-234, Irkutsk, Baikal, July 1998.
- Schlußbericht: Optimale Linienführung und Routenplanung in Verkehrssystemen (Schienenverkehr), (german) joint work with U.T.Zimmermann,
- Verfahren zum Kantenzusammenhang in gerichteten Graphen, diploma thesis